PRE-COURSE material (REQUIRED) – To be advised
pre-course material to inspire (not required)
- Josh Sommer’s personal cancer journey and creation of the Chordoma Foundation HERE
- Understanding Academic Medical Centers: Simone’s Maxims HERE
- “The Cure: How a Father Raised $100 million – and bucked the medical establishment – in a quest to save his children” – written by Geeta Anand HERE (The film version of this book is “Extraordinary Measures” starring Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser)
- “One Tough Mother” by Gert Boyle HERE . A story of how a mother in an impossible situation built a billion dollar company. To some extent, curing cancer could take this kind of small business approach from the community.
- “Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos and Luck – Why Some Thrive Despite Them All” by Jim Collins and Morten Hansen HERE. If you read about business strategies you’ll love this, if not, then most of what you need is in the first two chapters.
- “A Life Decoded” by J. C. Venter HERE. Sequencing the genome would take 15 years and 3 billion dollars or does it take $300m and only 9 months? This is a real world story of going outside the box.
- “Leading for Growth: How Umpqua Bank Got Cool and Created a Culture of Greatness” by R Davis HERE. What business are you really in? How can you empower people around you to achieve incredible things?
- Global Genes overview of patient advocacy in drug discovery. Toolkit HERE.